First published in 1939, and this edition printed in 1947. This copy was made and printed in France for Pan books whose address was still given in London. This was because of paper shortages during the war. In 1947 Pan reached an agreement with the Board of Trade which allowed them to actually print their books in Europe. In 1950 they went back to printing in the UK. The books would be shipped down the Seine from Paris and then up the Thames to Kingston.